For your use on pasta or as an ingredient in another food (meatballs etc). You'll nom it like whoa.
Of course, from my Mom. Instead of sugar she puts a carrot to counter the acidity of the tomatoes, and she is better than I am at this... so... anyway...
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1/2 an onion, chopped
1 28-oz can whole tomatoes, quartered, and their juices
1 can tomato paste
1 tbsp sugar
pinch of marjoram, salt, pepper
1. Heat oil in smallish saucepan with red pepper flakes.
2. Saute garlic and onions in olive oil until they are cooked and fragrant, 10 mins.
3. Add tomato paste, taking care to coat the sides for caramelization- about 10 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, spices and sugar.
4. Simmer awhile- the longer the better.
Add meat at at the simmering stage to slow cook it. YUM. Adjust oil accordingly. Leaner, cheaper cuts are better for slow cooking.